Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cryptantha

 Cryptantha in Felicita Park, Escondido, CA

Today I am going to present to you a plant that is fairly common in Southern California but it's so tiny and inconspicuous that most people probably would not even notice it. However I managed to identify it. Cryptantha has small white flowers and fuzzy leaves. If I remember right, the stems and leaves are prickly.

Tomorrow I am going to show you the plant called eucrypta. To me it sounds like a twin of cryptantha. They even look kind of similar. Cryptantha means "hidden flower", probably because the flowers of some species self-fertilize without opening. Cryptantha is part of Borage family (Boraginaceae).

1 comment:

  1. So tiny and inconspicuous I hardly ever notice it and I notice almost EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete