Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Datura

 Datura (Picture takes in Wilderness Gardens near Pala, CA)

Well, this one was really an exciting discovery. I first noticed this plant in Wilderness gardens near Pala Indian Reservation but I didn't know what plant it was. Only later i was able to identify it as datura or jimson weed, a plant that can be used as a poison or rather made into a psychedelic concoction to induce visions.

Well, since then I have seen it in other places. It grows wild though it is not really a common plant. It seems to like desert environment. It has beautiful white flowers. I have no idea what part of plants is used for trips though I suspect it's a flower or seed. Anyway it really stands out in desert.

Datura is part of the Nightshade family (Solanaceae)

No comments:

Post a Comment